- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 759
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 73g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 45g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
Beef & lentil cottage pie with cauliflower & potato topping
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- minced-beef - 250g minced beef
- carrot - 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- red-lentil - 200g red lentil
- beef-stock - 600ml beef stock
- frozen-pea - 140g frozen pea
- potato - 1 1/4 kg potato, cubed
- cauliflower - 1 large cauliflower (about 400g), cut into florets
- milk - 150ml milk
- butter - 50g butter
- mature-cheddar - 100g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the minced beef. Cook for 5 mins until browned all over, then add the carrot and cook for 2 mins more.
- Stir in the tomato puree and add seasoning. Cook for a few mins, then add the lentils and stock. Simmer for 20 mins, then stir in the peas.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Simmer for 15 mins, then add the cauliflower and simmer for a further 10 mins until the veg is tender.
- Drain, then return the veg to the pan for a few mins to dry out. add the milk, butter and seasoning, and mash together. Finally, add the cheese, reserving a handful, and mix well. Cover and put aside 500g of the mash mix for the sausage recipe tomorrow (see 'goes well with', right).
- Spoon the mince into a large roasting dish, about 30 x 20cm, and spoon the mash over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until golden, about 30 mins.
Cheap eat recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has olive oil, minced beef, carrot, tomato purée, red lentil, beef stock, frozen pea, potato, cauliflower, milk, butter and mature cheddar.