- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 295
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 13g
- Sugar Content: 11g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 34g
- Sodium Content: 0.87g
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- bacon - 6 smoked bacon rashers, chopped
- onion - 4 onions, finely chopped
- carrot - 3 carrots, finely chopped
- celery - 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- mixed-herb - 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- mushroom - 500g mushrooms, sliced
- minced-beef - 1 1/2 kg lean minced beef (or use half beef, half pork mince)
- tomato - 6 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- tomato-puree - 6 tbsp tomato puree
- red-wine - large glass red wine (optional)
- red-wine-vinegar - 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- sugar - 1 tbsp sugar
- parmesan - parmesan, to serve
- Heat the oil in a very large saucepan. Gently cook the bacon, onions, carrots and celery for 20 mins until golden. Add the garlic, herbs, bay and mushrooms, then cook for 2 mins more.
- Heat a large frying pan until really hot. Crumble in just enough mince to cover the pan, cook until brown, then tip in with the veg. Continue to fry the mince in batches until used up. Tip the tomatoes and puree in with the mince and veg. Rinse the cans out with the red wine, if you have some, or with a little water, then add to the pan with the vinegar and sugar. Season generously and bring to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 1 hr until thick and saucy and the mince is tender. Serve with pasta and parmesan.
- If you want to make this in a slow cooker, visit ourslow cooker bolognese recipe.
Healthy Italian recipe for 12 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has olive oil, bacon, onion, carrot, celery, garlic clove, mixed herb, bay leaf, mushroom, minced beef, tomato, tomato purée, red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar and parmesan.