- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 258
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 46g
- Sugar Content: 28g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Blood orange & poppy drizzle muffins
- sunflower-oil - 5 tbsp light rapeseed or sunflower oil, plus a little extra for greasing
- self-raising-flour - 300g self-raising flour
- golden-caster-sugar - 175g golden caster sugar
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- poppy-seed - 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- milk - 200ml milk
- egg - 1 large egg
- orange - zest 2 blood orange, juice 2 1/2
- granulated-sugar - 140g granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin. Mix together the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, egg, and zest and juice from 1 of the oranges.
- Working very quickly, pour the wet ingredients into the dry and barely mix together with a fork - the mixture should be lumpy, so don't overwork it. Spoon the mixture into the tins and bake for 10-12 mins until risen and browned.
- While the muffins are baking, mix the remaining zest with the granulated sugar in a small bowl. Have the remaining blood orange juice ready too.
- Leave the muffins to cool for 2 mins, then transfer to a wire rack. Again working quickly, pour the juices into the sugar mix and spoon some over each muffin, repeating until it is all used up. Leave to set for 5 mins before eating.
Muffin recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, self-raising flour, golden caster sugar, baking powder, poppy seed, milk, egg, orange and granulated sugar.