- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 911
- Fat Content: 60g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22g
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Sugar Content: 16g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 58g
- Sodium Content: 7.5g
British pork cassoulet
- pork-belly - 400-450g streaky steaks (strips of pork belly ), rind trimmed
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- pork-sausage - 400-450g pack of pork sausages (try Cumberland, garlic or sage-flavoured Lincolnshire varieties)
- back-bacon - 4 back bacon chops, about 400g/14oz
- bean - 400g can cannellini, haricot, butter or mixed beans, drained
- onion - 1 large onion, chopped
- carrot - 4 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- tomato - 400g can chopped tomatoes
- bouquet-garni - 1 bouquet garni 'tea bag'
- chicken-stock - about 600ml chicken stock (from a stock cube is fine)
- breadcrumb - 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Quickly pan-fry the strips of pork belly in the oil, followed by the sausages and back bacon chops, until well browned.
- Mix together the beans, onion, garlic, carrots and tomatoes in a bowl. Starting with a spoonful of the veg, inter-layer the vegetable mix and meats in a deep braising pan (about 3 litres capacity, 7.5cm deep, preferably one that will go on top of the stove - see Gary's tip, below). Place the bouquet garni in the centre as everything is being stacked.
- Pour just enough chicken stock on top to almost cover, then bring to a simmer on top of the stove (see Gary's tip). Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and braise in the oven for about 1hr 20- 1hr 30 mins, until the meats are all tender and the top is golden brown. If the stock reduces while braising, simply pour a little more on top to moisten. Remove from the oven and allow to settle for 5 mins before serving. (Remember to take out the bouquet garni.)
British recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has pork belly, vegetable oil, pork sausage, back bacon, bean, onion, carrot, tomato, bouquet garni, chicken stock, breadcrumb and garlic clove.