- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 434
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 59g
- Sugar Content: 13g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
Caramelised onion & barley soup with cheese croutons
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- thyme - 6 thyme sprigs, chopped
- sugar - good pinch sugar
- vegetable-stock - 500ml vegetable stock
- barley - 60g barley
- kale - 60g cavolo nero or kale, thick stalks discarded and leaves sliced
- baguette - 4 slices baguette, toasted
- gruyere - 4 tbsp grated gruyere cheese
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, sugar and a good pinch of salt. Cook on a medium-low heat for 15-20 mins or until golden coloured. Add the stock and simmer for a further 10 mins.
- In a separate large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the barley for 15 mins, adding the cavolo nero or kale for the final 3 mins of cooking. Drain and rinse under cold water, then add to the soup and warm through.
- Heat the grill. Top the toasted bread with cheese and place under the grill until it's bubbly and melted. Serve in 2 large bowls with the cheesy croutons on top.
Immune-friendly recipe for 2 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has olive oil, onion, garlic clove, thyme, sugar, vegetable stock, barley, kale, baguette and gruyère.