- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 600
- Fat Content: 32g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Carbohydrate Content: 75g
- Sugar Content: 65g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.83g
Cherry bakewell cake
- butter - 200g butter, well softened, plus extra for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 200g golden caster sugar
- ground-almond - 100g ground almond
- self-raising-flour - 100g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- almond - 1/2 tsp almond extract or essence
- egg - 4 large eggs
- cherry - 1/2 a 340g jar morello cherry conserve
- icing-sugar - 175g icing sugar
- water - 5-6 tsp water or lemon juice
- flaked-almond - 1 tbsp ready-toasted flaked almonds
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and make sure there's a shelf ready in the middle. Butter and line the bases of two 20cm round sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat together all the cake ingredients with a pinch of salt until smooth, then spoon into the tins and level the tops. Bake for 30 mins or until golden and springy. Don't open the oven before 25 mins cooking time has passed.
- When they're ready, cool the sponges for a few mins, then tip out of the tins and cool completely on a wire rack. Make sure the top of one of the cakes is facing up as you'll want a smooth surface for the icing later on.
- When cool, put one sponge on a serving plate, then spread with jam. Sandwich the second sponge on top. Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the water or lemon juice, then stir until smooth and thick. Spread evenly over the top and let it dribble over the sides. Scatter with the nuts and leave to set for a few mins before cutting.
Fruity cake recipe for 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, ground almond, self-raising flour, baking powder, almond, egg, cherry, icing sugar, water and flaked almond.