- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 389
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 38g
- Sodium Content: 4.3g
Chinese beef & aubergine hotpot
- star-anise - 5 star anise
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- sunflower-oil - 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- steak - 2kg braising steak (shin is best), cut into large chunks
- chicken-stock - 1l chicken stock
- red-chilli - 3 red chillies, split in two and deseeded, plus extra sliced into rounds to serve
- galangal - 100g galangal (use ginger if you can't find galangal), sliced
- thai-fish-sauce - 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- soy-sauce - 200ml soy sauce
- demerara-sugar - 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- lime-leaves - 6 kaffir lime leaves
- aubergine - 3 aubergines, cut into wedges
- rice - rice and coriander, to serve
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Heat a large casserole dish, toast the star anise and cinnamon until fragrant, then scoop out of the dish. Add the oil, then brown the beef in batches (be careful not to overcrowd the pan). Set the meat aside on a plate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the aubergine) to the casserole dish, stir well and bring to the boil. Add the spices and meat back in, skim off any fat that comes to the surface, then cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 2 hrs.
- Remove the lid, add the aubergine, and give everything a good stir, then return to the oven and cook for 1 hr uncovered until the aubergine and meat are tender. Rest until cool enough to eat. Scatter over the coriander and sliced red chilli, then serve with rice.
Chinese recipe for 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has star anise, cinnamon stick, sunflower oil, steak, chicken stock, red chilli, galangal, thai fish sauce, soy sauce, demerara sugar, lime leaves, aubergine and rice.