- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 405
- Carbohydrate Content: 26g
- Fat Content: 11g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 51g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 3.96g
- Sugar Content: 23g
Chinese braised beef with ginger Recipe
Chinese braised beef with ginger is a Chinese recipe for 6 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, brisket and onion.
- Coriander - small bunch coriander
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves
- Onion - 2 onions
- Dark Soy Sauce - 50ml dark soy sauce
- Tomato Puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Sunflower Oil - 2 - 3 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Ginger - 50g ginger
- Black Peppercorn - 1 tsp black peppercorn
- Muscovado Sugar - 100g dark brown muscovado sugar
- Beef Stock - beef stock
- Chinese Five Spice Powder - 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Star Anise - 6 whole star anise
- Jasmine Rice - cooked jasmine rice
- Light Soy Sauce - 50ml light soy sauce
- Brisket - 1 1/4 kg beef shin or brisket, cut into very large chunks
- Heat a little of the oil in a large flameproof dish. Add the beef chunks, in batches, and fry until browned. When each batch is browned, transfer the beef to another dish. Very roughly chop the onions, ginger, garlic and coriander stalks. Put in a food processor and whizz to a paste.
- Wipe any oil out of the dish you browned the beef in. Add the paste with a good splash of water and gently fry, scraping up any beef bits, until the paste is fragrant and softened (add more water if the paste sticks). Stir in the five-spice, star anise and peppercorns, cook for 1 min, then add the sugar, soy sauces and tomato puree. Return the beef and any juices to the dish, then stir in enough stock to just about cover. Bring to a gentle simmer. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Cover the dish, put in the oven and cook for 21/2 hrs until the beef is really tender.
- Lift the beef out of the sauce into a dish, to keep warm. Boil the sauce until reduced by about half and thickened. Meanwhile, fry the ginger in the oil until golden and crispy. Return the beef to the sauce. serve the beef spooned over rice and scattered with the crispy ginger.