- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 317
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 4g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 30g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Chinese poached chicken & rice
- ginger - large piece of ginger, 1 tbsp finely grated, the rest sliced
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves
- black-peppercorn - 1 tsp black peppercorns
- soy-sauce - 1 tbsp soy sauce, plus 2-3 tsp (optional)
- chicken-leg - 8 chicken legs
- sesame-oil - 3 tbsp sesame oil
- spring-onion - 2 bunches spring onions, chopped
- pak-choi - 4 pak choi, halved
- rice - cooked long-grain rice, to serve
- Put the sliced ginger, the garlic, peppercorns and half the soy in a large pan with the chicken legs. Add enough water to cover, and season with a little salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer, put on the lid and poach for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan and add the sesame oil and spring onions. Soften for 1 min, then remove from the heat and stir in the grated ginger and remaining soy sauce to make a relish.
- When the chicken is ready, remove from the pan, set aside 4 of the legs and chill for tomorrow. Add the pak choi to the poaching liquid and cook for 3-4 mins. Strain the poaching liquid to remove the ginger, garlic and peppercorns, reserving the liquid. Pull the skin from the remaining 4 chicken legs and discard. Tear the meat into thick pieces. Serve in bowls with rice, the pak choi, a ladle of the hot chicken broth, the spring onion relish and extra soy sauce, if you like.
Lower sugar recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has ginger, garlic clove, black peppercorn, soy sauce, chicken leg, sesame oil, spring onion, pak choi and rice.