- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 801
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 100g
- Sugar Content: 17g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 51g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Classic spaghetti Bolognese
- oil - 2 tbsp oil
- onion - 1 large onion, finely chopped
- celery-stick - 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- carrot - 2 carrots, finely chopped
- pancetta - 50g pancetta cubes
- beef-mince - 400g lean beef mince
- chicken-liver - 150g chicken livers, chopped, fat and sinew removed
- bay-leaf - 1 large bay leaves
- tomato-puree - 4 tbsp tomato puree
- white-wine - 150ml white wine
- chicken-stock - 500ml fresh chicken stock
- passata - 300ml passata
- spaghetti - 500g pack spaghetti
- milk - 50ml full-fat milk
- parmesan - parmesan, grated, to serve
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a large pan or flameproof casserole dish over a low-medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened but not coloured. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan, increase the heat and tip in the pancetta. Cook for 3-4 mins until golden. Add the mince and chicken livers, and cook for a further 5 mins until browned, breaking down the mince with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Return the vegetables to the pan and add the bay leaf and tomato puree. Cook for a 1 min more and mix well. Pour in the wine and reduce by half. Add the stock and passata with some seasoning and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce bubble away for 35-40 mins, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half and you are left with a thick ragu.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil 15 mins before the sauce is ready. Drop in the pasta, cook following pack instructions until al dente, then drain.
- To finish the sauce, stir in the milk and season to taste. Tip the pasta onto a plate and top with the Bolognese. Serve with the Parmesan.
Eat like an athlete recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has oil, onion, celery stick, carrot, pancetta, beef mince, chicken liver, bay leaf, tomato purée, white wine, chicken stock, passata, spaghetti, milk and parmesan.Add to Favourites