- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 620
- Fat Content: 41g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22g
- Carbohydrate Content: 55g
- Sugar Content: 36g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Coffee & walnut cake
- butter - 250g pack softened butter, plus extra for the tins
- coffee - 100ml strong black coffee (made with 2 tbsp coffee granules), cooled
- self-raising-flour - 280g self-raising flour
- golden-caster-sugar - 250g golden caster sugar
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- egg - 4 eggs
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- walnut - 85g walnut, 2 tbsp roughly chopped, the rest finely chopped
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar, sifted, plus a little extra for dusting
- double-cream - 150ml double cream
- mascarpone - 100g mascarpone, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter 2 x 20cm round cake tins and line with baking parchment. Set aside 1 tbsp of the coffee for the filling.
- Beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and half the remaining coffee in a large bowl with an electric whisk until lump-free. Fold in the finely chopped walnuts, then divide between the tins and roughly spread. Scatter the roughly chopped walnuts over one of the cakes. Bake the cakes for 25-30 mins until golden and risen, and a skewer poked in comes out clean. Drizzle the plain cake with the remaining coffee. Cool the cakes in the tins.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: beat together the icing sugar, cream and mascarpone, then fold in the reserved 2 tbsp coffee. Spread over the plain cake, then cover with the walnut-topped cake and dust with a little icing sugar.
Classic cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, coffee, self-raising flour, golden caster sugar, baking powder, egg, vanilla extract, walnut, icing sugar, double cream and mascarpone.