- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 396
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.75g
Courgette & goat’s cheese tart
- plain-flour - plain flour, for dusting
- shortcrust-pastry - 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- saffron - 1 fat pinch saffron threads
- courgette - 500g courgettes, all but one coarsely grated
- butter - knob of butter
- egg - 4 eggs
- whipping-cream - 284ml pot whipping cream
- goat's-cheese - 140g soft goat's cheese
- rocket - 2 handfuls rocket leaves, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Lightly dust a surface with flour, then roll out the pastry into a large, 5mm thick circle. Use to line a deep, 23cm tart tin with removable base. Trim away excess pastry. Prick all over with a fork, then line with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Cook for 10-15 mins until starting to turn golden. Remove paper and beans, then cook for 5 mins more until crisp and cooked through. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the saffron in a cup with 1 tbsp hot water, then leave to infuse. Mix grated courgettes with 1 tsp salt, then place in a colander. Slice the last courgette very thinly lengthways into long ribbons (use a vegetable peeler). Sprinkle with salt, then put on top of the grated courgettes. Put the colander over a bowl to drain for at least 30 mins. Tip into the middle of a clean tea towel over the sink, twist and squeeze the tea towel getting every drop of the green liquid out.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Put the courgette slices to one side and add the grated courgettes to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 mins. Tip the grated courgettes into a bowl. Lightly beat the eggs, then add all but 2 tbsp to the courgette bowl. Pour in the cream, the saffron and soaking water, then mix well. Season generously with pepper, and salt if it needs it (it may be salty enough).
- Reduce oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Brush the remaining beaten egg over the tart case. Bake for 5 mins, until the egg has set and sealed the case. Pour in the mix. Crumble on the goat's cheese. Lay the courgette strips over the top like the spokes of a wheel. Bake for 40 mins, until just set, but still a little wobbly. Cool and serve at room temperature.
Posh budget recipe for 10 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has plain flour, shortcrust pastry, saffron, courgette, butter, egg, whipping cream, goat’s cheese and rocket.