- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 267
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 46g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.18g
Courgette & mushroom bread
- courgette - 3 medium courgettes, grated
- salt - 2 tsp salt
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 1 small onion, finely chopped
- garlic - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- chestnut-mushroom - 100g chestnut mushroom, chopped
- plain-flour - 350g strong plain flour
- yeast - 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- basil - 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- sea-salt - 1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt, to sprinkle
- Put the grated courgettes in a colander and sprinkle with 1 tsp of the salt. Leave to stand for 20 mins, then, using your hands, squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. Rinse the courgettes thoroughly, then squeeze again.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4 mins until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4 mins until softened and browned, then add the courgettes and cook for another 2 mins. Strain well and set aside to cool; discard the liquid.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, stir in the yeast, the remaining oil and salt, the basil and the courgette mixture. Mix well to combine. Make a well in the centre and add 125ml hand-hot water. Mix well to form a slightly sticky dough. Knead on a floured surface for about 10 mins, then shape into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Flatten the ball of dough very slightly with the palm of your hand and loosely cover with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 25-30 mins until doubled in size. Brush the top of the dough with a little water, then sprinkle with the sea salt and bake for 40 mins until golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Bread recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has courgette, salt, olive oil, onion, garlic, chestnut mushroom, plain flour, yeast, basil and sea salt.