- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 489
- Carbohydrate Content: 22g
- Fat Content: 22g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 48g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 2.1g
- Sugar Content: 9g
Easy chicken gumbo Recipe
Easy chicken gumbo is a Dairy-free recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has olive oil, bacon lardon and onion.
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Chicken Breast - 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- Onion - 1 onion, sliced
- Pepper - 130g pack Padron peppers, stalks removed, sliced (or 1 green chilli and 100g green pepper)
- Spring Onion - 2 spring onions, sliced
- Black Bean - cooked rice and black beans, to serve
- Passata - 500g carton passata
- Chicken Stock - 500ml chicken stock
- Plain Flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- Okra - 175g pack okra, sliced (or 2 courgettes, sliced)
- Bacon Lardon - 200g smoked bacon lardons
- Cajun Spice Mix - 1 tbsp Cajun spice mix
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the lardons and onion, and fry for 5 mins until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onion is soft. Add the peppers, chicken and flour, and fry for a further 5 mins or until the chicken is golden brown and the flour is starting to take on a a biscuty colour.
- Stir in the Cajun spice mix and garlic, then slowly add the chicken stock, stirring all the time. Add the okra, passata and some seasoning and simmer for 20 mins, uncovered, over a medium heat. Stir frequently during cooking to loosen the flour from the base of the pan.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions and serve with rice and black beans.