- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Serving: 8 - 10 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 571
- Carbohydrate Content: 76g
- Fat Content: 27g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
- Sugar Content: 53g
Eccles cake Recipe
Eccles cake is a Retro cake recipe for 8 - 10 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Egg - 4 large eggs
- Lemon - zest 1 lemon
- Butter - 250g pack butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- Brown Sugar - 250g soft light brown sugar
- Apple - 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and diced to about 1cm pieces
- Plain Flour - 100g plain flour
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Self Raising Flour - 250g self-raising flour
- Raisin - 85g raisin
- Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Buttermilk - 100g buttermilk
- Mixed Spice - 1 tsp mixed spice
- Icing Sugar - 85g icing sugar, sifted
- Mixed Peel - 50g mixed peel
- Ground Cloves - 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Currant - 85g currant
- Sugar Cube - a few sugar cubes, roughly crushed
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a deep 20cm cake tin with baking parchment. Mix together the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Put butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until pale. Beat in the eggs, then fold in the flours, buttermilk and apples. Spoon half the mixture into the tin. Scatter over filling, leaving a 2.5cm clear border all around the edge. Spoon remaining mixture on top, starting by dolloping round the edges, then moving into the middle. Bake for 1 hr 25 mins or until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a runny-ish icing. Remove cake from the tin, drizzle over the icing, then scatter with crushed sugar cubes and lemon zest.