- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 525
- Carbohydrate Content: 64g
- Fat Content: 26g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- Sugar Content: 45g
Espresso mud cakes, chocolate syrup & ice cream
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- espresso-powder - 2 tsp espresso powder, dissolved in 2 tsp hot water, plus extra for the tin
- chocolate - 100g chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into squares
- bournville-bar - 45g Bournville bar, broken into squares
- golden-caster-sugar - 50g golden caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- egg - 1 large egg, separated
- vanilla-pod - seeds from 1/2 a vanilla pod, or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- plain-flour - 4 tbsp plain flour, sifted
- golden-syrup - 4 tbsp golden syrup
- coffee - coffee or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter four wells of a muffin tin, and sprinkle some espresso powder into each.
- In a pan, gently melt half of each of the chocolates with the butter until smooth. Stir in 50g sugar, then take off the heat and cool for a few mins. Stir in the coffee, egg yolk, vanilla and flour until even.
- Beat the egg whites with electric beaters or a balloon whisk until foamy and thickened. Add 1 tbsp sugar and whisk until it forms shiny soft peaks. Take care not to overwhisk - softer is better if you're not sure.
- Stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate batter to loosen, then carefully fold in the rest of the whites using a large metal spoon or a spatula.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, then bake for 10-12 mins or until the cakes are just starting to dome in the middle. Cool the cakes in the tin for 15 mins. In a small pan, melt the remaining chocolates and golden syrup together with 3 tbsp hot water, and whisk until silky smooth. Turn out the cakes and serve warm in a puddle of the syrup and topped with ice cream.
Easy cake recipe for 4 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, espresso powder, chocolate, bournville bar, golden caster sugar, egg, vanilla pod, plain flour, golden syrup and coffee.