- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 249
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Sugar Content: 20g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
Fig, nut & seed bread with ricotta & fruit
- tea - 400ml hot strong black tea
- fig - 100g dried fig, hard stalks removed, thinly sliced
- sultana - 140g sultana
- porridge-oat - 50g porridge oat
- wholemeal-flour - 200g self-raising wholemeal flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- nut - 100g mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, Brazils, hazelnuts), plus 50g for the topping
- linseed - 1 tbsp golden linseed
- sesame-seed - 1 tbsp sesame seed, plus 2 tsp to sprinkle
- pumpkin-seed - 25g pumpkin seed
- large-egg - 1 large egg
- ricotta - 25g ricotta per person
- orange - 1 orange or green apple, thickly sliced, per person
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3 1/2 . Pour the tea into a large bowl and stir in the figs, sultanas and oats. Set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, line the base and sides of a 1kg loaf tin with baking parchment. Mix together the flour, baking powder, nuts and seeds. Beat the egg into the cooled fruit mixture, then stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Pour into the tin, then level the top and scatter with the extra nuts and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 1 hr, then cover the top with foil and bake for 15 mins more until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from the tin to cool, but leave the parchment on until cold. Cut into slices, spread with ricotta and serve with fruit.Will keep in the fridge for 1 month, or freeze in slices.
Low-calorie breakfast recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has tea, fig, sultana, porridge oat, wholemeal flour, baking powder, nut, linseed, sesame seed, pumpkin seed, large egg, ricotta and orange.