- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 388
- Fat Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 43g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 37g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
Fish dogs with lemony fennel slaw
- roll - 6 soft, floury subs or hot dog rolls
- fish - 800g-900g skinless firm white fish fillets (halibut, gurnard, bream or MSC-approved cod are all good), cut into long thin fillets
- plain-flour - 6 tbsp plain flour
- paprika - 1/2 tsp paprika
- vegetable-oil - a little vegetable oil
- fennel-bulb - 1 large fennel bulb
- lemon - zest and juice 1 lemon
- salad-cream - 2 tbsp light salad cream
- natural-yogurt - 100g natural yogurt
- carrot - 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks or very coarsely grated
- flatleaf-parsley - handful flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- preserved-lemon - 1 preserved lemon (find them in jars with the Moroccan ingredients), halved, seeds from the middle scooped out and discarded, and rind finely chopped
- For the slaw, pick the leafy fronds from the fennel and set aside. Discard any grubby outer layers, quarter the bulb and then slice as finely as you can. Mix with the lemon juice and leave to marinate for 1 hr, stirring every now and then.
- Drain the fennel. Mix the salad cream and yogurt in a big bowl, then add the fennel, remaining slaw ingredients, the fennel fronds (chopped) and some pepper, then mix well.
- When ready to serve, split the rolls and warm in a low oven. For the fish, mix the flour with the paprika and some salt on a plate. Dip in the fish fillets and coat well. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan (non-stick if you have), and fry the fish for a couple of mins on each side until cooked through and it flakes. Divide the fish between the rolls with the slaw and eat straight away.Any leftover slaw will be good for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Healthy takeaway recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has roll, fish, plain flour, paprika, vegetable oil, fennel bulb, lemon, salad cream, natural yogurt, carrot, flatleaf parsley and preserved lemon.