- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 456
- Fat Content: 19g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11g
- Carbohydrate Content: 67g
- Sugar Content: 60g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Fudgy fig roll
- fig - 140g soft dried fig, chopped
- banana - 1 medium very ripe banana
- butter - knob of butter, for greasing
- large-egg - 3 large eggs, separated
- light-muscovado-sugar - 225g light muscovado sugar
- wholemeal-flour - 120g wholemeal flour
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- nutmeg - good grating fresh nutmeg (optional)
- golden-caster-sugar - 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- double-cream - 300ml double cream
- icing-sugar - 4 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- jam - about 250-300g fig jam or conserve
- Cover the figs with boiling water in a bowl and set aside to soften for 30 mins. Drain and mash well with the banana.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease a Swiss roll tin - about 34 x 24cm. Line the base with baking parchment.
- Separate the eggs, collecting the whites in a large clean bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until stiff peaks hold on the end of your whisk, then add half the sugar and beat until thick and glossy.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the yolks with the remaining sugar until pale. Whisk in the mashed fig mixture. Fold this mixture into the meringue mixture until well combined. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle it over the wet mixture and very gently fold in, again until well combined. Gently scrape and spread the batter into the tin. Bake for 12-15 mins until springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, lay a clean tea towel on the bench (this helps keep the cake nice and moist). Scatter the caster sugar over the towel, flip on the cake, peel off the parchment, then roll up from the shortest side with the tea towel into a Swiss roll. Lift onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Unroll the cake gently. Using electric beaters, whisk the cream and icing sugar together to soft peaks. Spread the fig jam over the cake, followed by the cream. Roll up again and slice to serve.
Cake sale recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has fig, banana, butter, large egg, light muscovado sugar, wholemeal flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, golden caster sugar, double cream, icing sugar and jam.