- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 240
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Gazpacho with runner bean tempura & pickled coriander seeds
- white-wine-vinegar - 25ml white wine vinegar
- sherry-vinegar - 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- caster-sugar - 1 tbsp caster sugar
- coriander-seeds - 2 tsp coriander seeds
- tomato - 1kg tomatoes
- cucumber - 200g cucumber, peeled and deseeded
- capers - 2 tsp capers
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves
- red-chilli - 1 red chilli, deseeded
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sherry-vinegar - 1-2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- vegetable-oil - 150ml vegetable oil
- runner-bean - 100g runner beans, stringed, cut in half, then sliced lengthways (discarding tough beans from inside)
- plain-flour - 90g plain flour
- cumin-seeds - 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- egg - 1/2 egg, beaten
- water - 200ml ice-cold sparkling water
- To make the pickled coriander seeds, put the vinegars in a small pan with the sugar and 25ml water. Bring to the boil, drop in the coriander seeds, turn off the heat and leave to infuse.
- To peel the tomatoes, lightly score a cross in the top of each one, place in a large bowl and cover with boiling water for 1 min. Drain and peel. Cut each one into quarters and use a knife to scrape away the seeds. Don't discard what you remove - sieve out the seeds and use the juice in the next step.
- Blitz the tomatoes, cucumber, capers, garlic, chilli and 2 tsp sea salt in afood processor. Pour into a bowl and chill for a couple of hours for the flavours to meld, then add the olive oil and stir. Add 1 tbsp of the sherry vinegar and taste. If it needs more to bring out the flavours, then add another tbsp. Divide between bowls and chill the soup while you make the runner bean tempura.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a high-sidedsaucepanand set over a medium heat to get up to temperature (about 180C) while you make the batter.
- To make the batter, put the flour, a pinch of salt and the cumin seeds in a bowl and stir. Add the beaten egg, then pour in the water. Gently stir the mixture, taking care not to over-mix it - a few lumps help give tempura its texture. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping in a little bit of batter. It should bubble and float to the top. If it browns immediately, reduce the heat.
- Mix the runner beans into the batter and then fry in batches, removing with a slotted spoon once they're crisp, golden and just starting to brown. Drain on kitchen paper and season. Top each bowl of soup with some crispy runner beans, and spoon over a little of the drained, pickled coriander seeds.
Healthy soup recipe for 4 – 6 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has white wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, caster sugar, coriander seeds, tomato, cucumber, capers, garlic cloves, red chilli, extra virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, vegetable oil, runner bean, plain flour, cumin seeds, egg and water.