- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 227
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 28g
- Sugar Content: 18g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Ginger cookie sandwiches with lemon mascarpone
- unsalted-butter - 100g unsalted butter, melted
- golden-caster-sugar - 50g golden caster sugar
- light-brown-soft-sugar - 100g light brown soft sugar
- black-treacle - 25g black treacle
- egg - 1 large egg
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- gluten-free-flour - 175g gluten-free flour blend (I used Doves Farm)
- ground-ginger - 1 tbsp ground ginger
- black-pepper - 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- ground-nutmeg - 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- ground-cloves - 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- cardamom - 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (the seeds from 3 pods, crushed - see tip)
- demerara-sugar - 75g demerara sugar, to coat
- mascarpone - 175g mascarpone
- lemon-curd - 85g lemon curd
- To make the cookies, put the butter, sugars, treacle, egg and vanilla in a large bowl and mix together with an electric whisk until smooth and combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients except the demerara. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix until a very sticky dough is formed. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 4 hrs.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line two baking trays with baking parchment. Roll the cookie dough into balls, about a tablespoon in size, then roll in the demerara sugar. Place on the lined trays, leaving about 2.5cm space between cookies.
- Bake for about 14 mins or until just lightly browned around the edges, swapping the trays over halfway through cooking. Allow to cool on the trays for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat together the mascarpone and lemon curd in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a plain round piping tip. Pipe a layer of the cream onto the base of half the cookies and sandwich together with the other half. Will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the fridge - the texture will turn soft and cakey (this is no bad thing).
Gluten-free recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 14 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, golden caster sugar, light brown soft sugar, black treacle, egg, vanilla extract, bicarbonate of soda, gluten-free flour, ground ginger, black pepper, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, cardamom, demerara sugar, mascarpone and lemon curd.