- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 392
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 28g
- Sugar Content: 18g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 23g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Hake with stewed peppers
- red-pepper - 3 red peppers
- yellow-pepper - 3 yellow peppers
- olive-oil - 6 tbsp good Spanish olive oil
- onion - 1 onion, finely sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- thyme-sprig - 4 thyme sprigs, leaves removed, stems reserved
- clear-honey - 1 tbsp clear honey
- sherry-vinegar - 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- paprika - large pinch of smoked Spanish paprika (pimenton)
- green-olive - small handful green olives, stoned and halved
- flour - 3 tbsp flour
- hake - 4 small hake fillets (or cod if you can't find it)
- Blister the peppers under the grill or over a flame until blackened, then put in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool. Peel and deseed the peppers, catching any juices by straining them into a small bowl and setting aside. Cut the pepper flesh into thin strips and set aside.
- Put 3 tbsp of the olive oil in a shallow pan with the onion, garlic and thyme stems, and sweat over a low heat for 15-20 mins until softened and starting to brown. Add the pepper strips, half the honey, half the pepper juice and 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar, and cook until it makes a sticky relish. Season with the paprika, stir through the olives and set aside - this is best served at room temperature.
- Mix the remaining pepper juices, vinegar and honey with 2 tbsp olive oil and half the thyme leaves to make a dressing, then set aside. Toss the flour with the rest of the thyme leaves and some seasoning, and use to dust the hake. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the hake for 6-8 mins, skin-side down until golden, then flip over and continue to fry until cooked through. Spoon a puddle of the pepper mix onto each plate and top with a piece of hake. Drizzle the dressing over the plate and serve.
Holiday-at-home recipe for 4 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has red pepper, yellow pepper, olive oil, onion, garlic clove, thyme sprig, clear honey, sherry vinegar, paprika, green olive, flour and hake.