Halloween treats & drinks
- caster-sugar - 100g caster sugar
- butter - 100g butter
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk
- plain-flour - 200g plain flour
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- almond - 20 blanched almonds
- food-colouring - red food colouring, paste is best (optional)
- popping-corn - 85g popping corn
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for shaping
- butter - 25g butter
- marshmallow - 85g marshmallows
- lemonade - 1l lemonade
- cranberry-juice - 1l cranberry juice
- lime - juice 3-4 limes
- For the freaky fingers, place the first five ingredients and a pinch of salt in a food processor and whizz just until a ball of dough forms. Tear off a golfball-size piece of dough and use your hands to roll into finger-size cylinders - you should get about 20. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment - a little apart as they will spread during baking. Use a knife to make a few cuts, close together, for the knuckles. Place an almond at the end of each finger and trim away excess pastry around the edge to neaten. Place in the fridge for 30 mins, heat oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ gas 4, then bake for 10-12 mins just until firm. Leave to cool a little, then paint the almond with food colouring, if you like. Makes 20.
- For the brainballs, place the popping corn and vegetable oil in a large pan set over a medium heat. Stir the kernels around the pan to coat in the oil. When the kernels starts to pop, place a lid firmly on top and turn the heat down to low. Cook, shaking the pan often to stop the popcorn burning or sticking, until the corn has stopped popping, about 5 mins. Tip into a bowl, discarding any unopened kernels. Heat butter and marshmallows over a low heat until melted. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated. Lightly rub oil over your hands and shape the popcorn into small balls. Set aside on a tray lined with baking parchment and leave to set. Makes 10.
- For the bloodthirsty squash, fill up a kitchen glove with water, secure the end with a freezer clip or rubber band and place in the freezer overnight. When ready to serve, stir together 1 litre each lemonade and cranberry juice with the juice 3-4 limes. Pour into a punch bowl. Remove the hand from the freezer and use scissors to carefully take off the glove. Place in the punch bowl and serve. Serves 10.
Halloween recipe for 10 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has caster sugar, butter, egg yolk, plain flour, vanilla extract, almond, food colouring, popping corn, vegetable oil, butter, marshmallow, lemonade, cranberry juice and lime.