- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 4 - 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 141
- Carbohydrate Content: 13g
- Fat Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 6g
Ham & cheese croquetas Recipe
Ham & cheese croquetas is a Tapas recipe for 4 - 8 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has butter, onion and plain flour.
- Garlic Clove - 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- Red Chilli - 1 long red chilli, finely chopped (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- Onion - 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- Red Onion - 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Tomato - 300g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Egg - 2 large eggs
- Milk - 250ml milk
- Butter - 25g butter
- Dijon Mustard - 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sunflower Oil - sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Ham - 140g sliced smoked ham, diced
- Plain Flour - 50g plain flour
- Breadcrumb - 140g fine dried breadcrumbs
- Red Wine Vinegar - 100ml red wine vinegar
- Double Cream - 2 tbsp double cream
- Gruyere - 50g gruyere, finely grated
- Mature Cheddar - 50g mature cheddar, coarsely grated
- Demerara Sugar - 100g demerara sugar
- To make the croquetas, melt the butter in a medium saucepan and gently fry the onion for 3 mins or until lightly coloured. Stir in the flour and cook for 30 secs. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, and cook over a low heat for 5 mins until thick and glossy. Stir in the ham, cheese, mustard and cream, and season to taste. Cook for 1 min more until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a bowl and cover the surface with cling film to stop a skin forming. Leave to cool, then chill for 4 hrs or overnight - the mixture needs to be very stiff to form the croquetas. Take heaped teaspoons of the mixture and, with wet hands, roll into 24 small oval shapes and put on a tray. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl, put the flour on a plate and half of the breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Roll each of the croquetas lightly in flour, then in egg before coating in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Use the remaining breadcrumbs to top up the bowl halfway through the coating process. Chill for 30 mins (or to freeze, see tip, below left).
- Meanwhile, make the tomato chilli jam. Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover loosely with a lit and cook for 50 mins - 1 hr, stirring occasionally, until thick and glossy. Leave to cool before serving.
- Fill a large saucepan one-third full with the sunflower oil and heat to 180C (or heat the oil in an electric deep-fat fryer). Do not overheat and do not leave hot oil unattended. Using a metal slotted spoon, lower 6 croquets into the oil and cook for 1.5 mins or until golden brown. Transfer to a baking tray lined with kitchen paper to absorb excess oil, and continue cooking the rest. Serve with the chilli jam for dipping.