- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 902
- Carbohydrate Content: 13g
- Fat Content: 78g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 39g
- Saturated Fat Content: 23g
- Sodium Content: 1g
- Sugar Content: 7g
Honey-roasted duck with creamed cauliflower Recipe
Honey-roasted duck with creamed cauliflower is a Quick Christmas recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has duck, thyme and bay leaf.
- Vegetable Oil - vegetable oil, for frying
- Garlic Clove - 6 garlic cloves
- Milk - 300ml milk
- Butter - knob of butter
- Bay Leaf - 2 bay leaves
- Thyme - 2 sprigs thyme
- Watercress - 2 bunches watercress
- Shallot - 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Honey - 4 tbsp honey
- Cauliflower - 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- Double Cream - 4 tbsp double cream
- Duck - 1.6kg duck
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Dry the duck with kitchen paper and liberally season all over with coarse salt. Put the thyme and bay leaves inside the cavity, then place the duck on a rack over a roasting tray.
- Cook for 10 mins or until the skin begins to turn golden, then reduce the heat to 180C/fan 160C/ gas 4. Cook for a further 45 mins, basting the bird with honey every 5 mins or so for the final 20 mins of cooking. Your bird will now be roasted to medium - cook 10 mins more, if you like your duck well done. Set aside to rest, uncovered, for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the creamed cauliflower. In a pan, cook the caulifl ower and shallots in the butter over a low heat for 20 mins until softened and any liquid has evaporated. Spoon into a liquidiser with the cream and whizz to a puree. Season and keep warm.
- For the garlic crisps, thinly slice the garlic cloves using a really sharp knife or a mandolin. Place the slices in a pan along with the milk and slowly bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and strain the garlic slices, discarding the milk (or save it for mashed potato). Leave the garlic to drain on kitchen paper. Cover the bottom of a frying pan with the oil and heat. Fry the slices, a couple at a time, until golden and crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, carve the duck and serve alongside the creamed caulifl ower and sprigs of watercress, sprinkled with the crisp garlic slices.