- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 352
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 65g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.54g
Hot cross muffin buns
- white-bread - 450g strong white bread flour
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- butter - 50g butter, cut into pieces
- yeast - 7g sachet easy-blend dried yeast
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- golden-caster-sugar - 50g golden caster sugar
- lemon - finely grated zest 1 lemon
- milk - 275ml/9fl oz milk, plus extra to glaze
- egg - 2 eggs, beaten
- dried-fruit - 200g luxury mixed dried fruit, cherries halved
- plain-flour - 2 tbsp plain flour
- golden-syrup - golden syrup, to glaze
- Put all dough ingredients, except the dried fruit, in the breadmaker, following the order in your manual. Set to dough programme.
- Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down to deflate. Pat into a large flat circle, tip the fruit in the centre and enclose with the dough. Knead the fruit in, cutting through the mixture with a sharp knife, then re-knead a few times to distribute the fruit evenly.
- Cut out nine 14cm squares of baking parchment and have ready a 12-hole muffin tin. Cut the dough into 9 even-sized pieces and roll each into a smooth ball. Push a square of the parchment into a tin hole and drop in a ball of dough. Repeat with the rest. Cover the tin loosely with lightly-oiled cling film and leave in a warm place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to fan 180C/ conventional 200C/gas 6.
- For the crosses, blend the flour to a smooth paste with 5-6 tsp of cold water. Spoon into a small plastic food bag and cut a small hole off one corner or use a piping bag. Pipe crosses on the buns. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Lift onto a cooling rack. Brush with a little golden syrup while warm.
Muffin recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has white bread, salt, butter, yeast, mixed spice, golden caster sugar, lemon, milk, egg, dried fruit, plain flour and golden syrup.