- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 12 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrate Content: 27g
- Fat Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
- Sugar Content: 9g
Hot cross scones Recipe
Hot cross scones is a Scone recipe for 12 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, salt and butter.
- Egg - 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Milk - 50-75 ml milk
- Natural Yogurt - 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- Butter - 50g butter, chilled
- Self Raising Flour - 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- Salt - 1/4 tsp salt
- Currant - 3 tbsp currants or other dried fruit (chopped if large)
- Dessert Apple - 1 small dessert apple, peeled and cored
- Laces - pack of strawberry laces or a roll of fruit leather, cut into strips the same diameter as the scone
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the flour and salt into a large bowl. Grate the butter into the bowl, toss the mixture together, then rub the bits of butter into the flour until there are no big lumps left.
- Grate the apple into the bowl, then add the dried fruit, 50ml milk and the yogurt, and combine to make a soft dough. If the dough looks dry, add a little more milk. Don't squeeze it too much and don't worry if it looks a little lumpy. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out scones using a 4cm round cutter. Combine any off-cuts and cut out more scones until you have used up all the mixture.
- Put the scones on a baking tray and cut a cross across the top of each (adults may have to help children here). Brush some egg over the top, if using. Bake for 10-12 mins or until the scones are risen and golden brown. While they are still warm, lay strawberry laces into the crosses you have cut in the tops of the scones.