- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serving: 4, plus a spare jar of pickle Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 590
- Carbohydrate Content: 50g
- Fat Content: 32g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 28g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 42g
Indian lamb with spiced pumpkin pickle Recipe
Indian recipe for 4, plus a spare jar of pickle people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has lamb cutlet, natural yogurt, coriander, turmeric, coriander, lemon, naan bread, squash, sunflower oil, onion, ginger, green chilli, mustard seed, coriander, turmeric, cornflour, caster sugar and cider vinegar.
- Coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- Turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- Onion - 2 onions, chopped
- Natural Yogurt - 150ml tub natural yogurt
- Lemon - juice and zest 1 lemon
- Cider Vinegar - 250ml cider vinegar
- Sunflower Oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Naan Bread - naan bread, to serve
- Ginger - thumb-size piece ginger, chopped
- Caster Sugar - 250g caster sugar
- Cornflour - 2 tbsp cornflour
- Mustard Seed - 2 tsp black or brown mustard seeds
- Lamb Cutlet - 8 lamb cutlets
- Green Chilli - 1 green chilli, halved
- Squash - 750g chunk squash, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
- To make the pickle, cook the squash in boiling water for 6-10 mins until just tender but not falling apart. Drain gently.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions, ginger and chilli for 10-12 mins until soft. Add the mustard seeds, ground coriander and turmeric for 1 min. Stir in the cornflour, then the sugar, then gradually stir in the vinegar. Simmer for 6-8 mins until thickened. Gently stir in the squash until just hot, then divide between 2 hot, sterilised jars and cover. Cool completely.The pickle can be eaten straight away or left in the fridge, unopened, for up to 1 month.
- Put the lamb into a dish. Mix together the yogurt, ground coriander, turmeric, nearly all the chopped coriander, the lemon zest and juice and marinate for 1 hr or up to 1 day.
- Griddle or pan-fry the lamb for 1-2 mins on each side until cooked to your liking, then scatter over the remaining coriander and eat with spoonfuls of pickle and naan.