- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 299
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 37g
- Sugar Content: 29g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
- butter - 175g butter, softened
- caster-sugar - 140g caster sugar
- self-raising-flour - 140g self-raising flour
- ground-almond - 50g ground almond
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- large-egg - 2 large eggs
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- lemon - juice 3 lemons, zest of 2
- granulated-sugar - 200g granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 20cm square tin with baking parchment (the easiest way is to cross 2 x 20cm strips over the base). Beat the butter, caster sugar, flour, almonds, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and the lemon zest and juice from 1/2 lemon with an electric whisk until smooth. Scrape into the tin and bake for 25-30 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Let cool.
- Turn out onto a wire rack, trim edges and slice into 16 squares. Tip the granulated sugar onto a plate. Pour remaining lemon juice into another shallow dish. Very, very quickly, dip all sides of the cake squares, one-by-one, into the juice, then quickly in the sugar. Sit on a wire rack to set and crisp.
Classic cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, caster sugar, self-raising flour, ground almond, baking powder, large egg, vanilla extract, lemon and granulated sugar.