- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 166
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 22g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
Love bug biscuits
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- butter - 100g chilled butter, cubed
- icing-sugar - 85g icing sugar
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk
- icing - 500g ready-to-roll fondant icing
- food-colouring - red food colouring
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar
- food-colouring - black food colouring
- decoration - edible pearly ball decorations
- cutter - 8cm heart-shaped cutter
- cutter - 6cm heart-shaped cutter
- Put the flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a food processor. Dribble in 1 tbsp water and blitz until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Tip onto a work surface and knead briefly to bring together, then wrap in cling film and chill for 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Roll out the dough to the thickness of a PS1 coin. Use your 8cm heart cutter to stamp out heart shapes - you'll have to re-roll the trimmings to make 20 biscuits. Put the hearts on 2 baking trays and bake for 12 mins, swapping the trays over halfway through, until pale golden and crisp. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Dye your lump of icing with red food colouring and wrap in cling film until ready to roll. Mix the icing sugar with enough water to make a thick icing. Dye the icing with the black food colouring. Pour the icing into a piping bag with a small plain nozzle attached (or use a small sandwich bag and snip off the corner). Roll out the red icing to 3mm thick and use your 6cm cutter to stamp out hearts. Stick onto the biscuits with a little of the black icing.
- Use the black icing to give your love bug a head at the pointy end, draw a line down the centre to give it wings, then add spots. Stick 2 pearly balls onto each love bug's head, then leave to set on a wire rack. You can pack your love bugs into boxes or cellophane bags to give as gifts for Valentine's Day.
Valentine’s baking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 12 mins; recipe has plain flour, butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract, egg yolk, icing, food colouring, icing sugar, food colouring, decoration, cutter and cutter.