- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 267
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 15g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 23g
- Sodium Content: 1.3g
Low-fat turkey bolognese
- turkey-mince - 400g lean turkey mince (choose breast instead of thigh mince if you can, as it has less fat)
- vegetable-oil - 2 tsp vegetable oil
- onion - 1 large onion, chopped
- carrot - 1 large carrot, chopped
- celery - 3 celery sticks, chopped
- mushroom - 250g pack brown mushroom, finely chopped
- sugar - pinch of sugar
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- chopped-tomato - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomato with garlic & herbs
- chicken-stock - 400ml chicken stock, made from 1 low-sodium stock cube
- pasta - cooked wholemeal pasta and fresh basil leaves (optional), to serve
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and dry-fry the turkey mince until browned. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Add the oil and gently cook the onion, carrot and celery until softened, about 10 mins (add a splash of water if it starts to stick). Add the mushrooms and cook for a few mins, then add the sugar and tomato puree, and cook for 1 min more, stirring to stop it from sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, turkey and stock with some seasoning. Simmer for at least 20 mins (or longer) until thickened. Serve with the pasta and fresh basil, if you have it.
High protein lunch recipe for 4 – 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has turkey mince, vegetable oil, onion, carrot, celery, mushroom, sugar, tomato purée, chopped tomato, chicken stock and pasta.