- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 895
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Fat Content: 62g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 61g
- Saturated Fat Content: 27g
- Sodium Content: 1.75g
- Sugar Content: 7g
Massaman curry roast chicken Recipe
Massaman curry roast chicken is a Easy curry recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has chicken, root ginger and lemongrass.
- Olive Oil - 1 tsp olive oil
- Green Bean - 200g green beans, trimmed
- Chicken - whole chicken, about 1.8kg
- Lime - 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Brown Sugar - 1 tsp brown sugar, any type
- New Potato - 450g baby new potatoes, any larger ones halved
- Root Ginger - two thumb-size pieces root ginger
- Fish Sauce - 1 tsp fish sauce
- Basmati Rice - basmati rice, to serve
- Curry Paste - 70g/2 1/2 oz pack Massaman curry paste (I used Blue Elephant)
- Coconut Milk - 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk
- Lemongrass - 1 stick lemongrass, bashed with a rolling pin
- Peanut - 2 tbsp unsalted peanuts, crushed (optional)
- Put the chicken in a roasting tin or large casserole. Roughly chop half the ginger and put into the cavity of the chicken with the lemongrass and half the lime, then tie the legs together with string. Mix 1 tsp of the curry paste with the oil, rub it all over the chicken, then season with salt and pepper. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6, cover the chicken loosely with foil, then put it in to roast. After 35 mins, take the foil off the bird. Add the potatoes to the tin, then stir them around in any juices. Roast for another 40 mins until the chicken is cooked through and golden and the potatoes are tender.
- Take the chicken out of the tin and leave to rest, loosely covered. Put the tin on the hob, add the remaining curry paste, grate in the remaining ginger, then fry for 2 mins until fragrant. Stir in the coconut milk and sugar, then boil for about 5 mins until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Tip in the beans, simmer for 4 more mins (or until tender), then splash in the fish sauce, any resting juices and squeeze over the remaining lime. Scatter with the peanuts for the authentic Massaman flavour. Carve the chicken and serve with the saucy potatoes and basmati rice.