- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 53
- Fat Content: 2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 6g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
- baguette - 1 x 150g part-baked baguette, cut into 24 slices (blitz the ends into breadcrumbs and freeze)
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra to drizzle
- anchovy-fillet - 6 anchovy fillets in olive oil (from a jar or can), drained
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- red-onion - 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- chopped-tomato - 227g can chopped tomatoes
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- caper - 25g mini capers, drained
- chilli-flakes - 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- black-olives - 12 pitted black olives, ideally Kalamata, drained and halved
- parmesan - 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- basil-leaf - baby basil leaves, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the bread slices on a large baking tray in a single layer and drizzle over 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 10-12 mins or until dry, taking care not to let them burn or become too hard.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium non-stick frying pan and cook the anchovies, garlic and onion for 3-4 mins over a low heat until well softened, stirring until the anchovies break up. Add the tomatoes, puree, capers and chilli flakes, and cook over a low heat for 10-15 mins, stirring regularly, until the sauce is thick. Leave to cool for 15 mins.
- Once cool, spread a little tomato sauce on each piece of bread and top with half an olive. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, then cover and chill for up to 24 hrs until ready to reheat.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the toasts on a parchment-lined baking tray (or two) and bake for 8 mins or until hot throughout. To serve, garnish with basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Party food recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has baguette, extra virgin olive oil, anchovy fillet, garlic clove, red onion, chopped tomato, tomato purée, caper, chilli flakes, black olives, parmesan and basil leaf.Add to Favourites