- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 630
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Fat Content: 38g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 58g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.86g
- Sugar Content: 10g
North African chicken tagine Recipe
North African chicken tagine is a Freezable family recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has chicken breast, chicken thigh and olive oil.
- Coriander - 2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
- Garlic Clove - 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Chicken Breast - 2 large chicken breasts, skin on
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- Butternut Squash - 375g peeled butternut squash, cut into chunks
- Chilli - pinch crushed dried chilli
- Shallot - 200g shallots, peeled
- Chicken Stock - 500ml chicken stock
- Ginger - 4cm piece ginger, grated
- Cumin Seed - 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- Saffron - large pinch saffron threads
- Coriander Seed - 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- Clear Honey - 1 rounded tbsp clear honey
- Chicken Thigh - 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- Ground Ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- Cinnamon Sticks - 2 small cinnamon sticks
- Heat oven to 180C/160C/gas 4. Cut each chicken breast in half, then season all the chicken. Heat the oil in a mediumsize ovenproof casserole dish. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and brown well all over - you can do it in batches. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Lower heat slightly, add the shallots to the pan and cook until golden brown all over. Add the garlic and grated ginger and cook for 30 secs before adding all the spices and cooking for 1 min more.
- Throw the butternut squash into the pan and stir to coat in the spices. Arrange the chicken, skin side uppermost, on top of the shallots and squash. Pour over the stock and drizzle in the honey. Bring to a gentle simmer, then transfer to the oven to bake for 40 mins until tender. Scatter with the coriander and serve with couscous and a bowl of harissa, if you like.