Oriental egg fried rice
- long-grain-rice - a mugful of American long grain rice
- frozen-pea - a cupful of frozen peas
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- back-bacon - 2 back bacon rashers, roughly chopped
- red-pepper - 1 small red pepper, chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- egg - 2 large eggs
- chinese-five-spice-powder - 1 heaped tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Fill a roomy saucepan with water, bring to the boil and tip in a heaped teaspoon of salt - the water will bubble furiously. Pour in the rice, stir once and return to the boil, then turn the heat down a little so that the water is boiling steadily, but not vigorously.
- Boil uncovered, without stirring (this makes for sticky rice) for 10 minutes. After 8 minutes, throw in the frozen peas, boil for 2 minutes and drain (don't rinse).
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok and stir fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Tip in the red pepper and the garlic cloves and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, pour into the pan and stir fry until the egg just sets. Toss in the Chinese 5-spice
Chinese recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has long grain rice, frozen pea, sunflower oil, back bacon, red pepper, garlic clove, egg and chinese five-spice powder.