- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 353
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 29g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
- chicken-thigh - 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed and discarded and trimmed of any big bits of fat
- chipotle-paste - 2 tbsp chipotle paste
- passata - 250ml passata
- barbecue-sauce - 75g barbecue sauce
- onion - 1 onion, chopped
- lime - juice 3 limes, plus extra wedges to serve (optional)
- black-beans - 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- refried-bean - 215g can refried beans
- avocado - 1 small, ripe avocado, diced
- coriander - 1/2 small pack coriander, leaves only
- little-gem-lettuce - 3 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
- taco - 8-12 tacos, or cooked rice, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rub the chicken thighs with 1 tbsp of the chipotle paste and some seasoning. Mix the remaining chipotle paste with the passata, barbecue sauce, 100ml water and half the onion. Spoon the sauce into a roasting tin that will fit the chicken snugly in a single layer and add the chicken thighs. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hr, then uncover, increase the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake for another 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining onion with the lime juice and some salt, and set aside while the chicken cooks. Mix all the beans in a saucepan with 100ml water and heat, ready to serve.
- When the chicken is really tender, use two forks to shred the meat into the sauce (discard the bones). Keep covered with the foil while you heat the beans for 5-10 mins until piping hot and not too wet, and warm the tacos following pack instructions. Stir the avocado and coriander leaves into the lime-onion mixture.
- Serve the pulled chicken and beans with shredded lettuce and tacos, or rice and lime wedges to squeeze over, if you like. Top with a spoonful of the avocado salsa.
Healthy Mexican recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has chicken thigh, chipotle paste, passata, barbecue sauce, onion, lime, black beans, refried bean, avocado, coriander, little gem lettuce and taco.