- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 16 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 278
- Carbohydrate Content: 34g
- Fat Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
- Sugar Content: 21g
Rhubarb & custard cake Recipe
Rhubarb & custard cake is a Easy cake recipe for 16 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has rhubarb, butter and custard.
- Egg - 4 large eggs
- Butter - 250g pack butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- Self Raising Flour - 250g self-raising flour
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Golden Caster Sugar - 250g golden caster sugar
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing Sugar - icing sugar, for dusting
- Custard - 150g pot ready-made custard (not the chilled kind; I used Ambrosia)
- Rhubarb - 1 quantity Barney's roasted rhubarb (see recipe, below method)
- Make the roasted rhubarb first, carefully draining off the juices before you let it cool. Butter and line a 23cm loose-bottomed or springform cake tin. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Reserve 3 tbsp of the custard in a bowl. Beat the rest of the custard together with the butter, flour, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and sugar until creamy and smooth. Spoon one-third of the mix into the tin, add some of the rhubarb, then dot with one-third more cake mix and spread it out as well as you can. Top with some more rhubarb, then spoon over the remaining cake mix, leaving it in rough mounds and dips rather than being too neat about it. Scatter the rest of the rhubarb over the batter, then dot the remaining custard over. Bake for 40 mins until risen and golden, then cover with foil and bake for 15-20 mins more. It's ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tin, then dredge with icing sugar when cool.