- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 as a side Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 49g
- Fat Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 1.3g
- Sugar Content: 8g
Salt & pepper chips Recipe
Salt & pepper chips is a Sharing recipe for 4 as a side people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has potato, vegetable oil and black peppercorn.
- Vegetable Oil - 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- Red Pepper - 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- Garlic Clove - 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Red Chilli - 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- Onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- Spring Onion - 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Chilli Flakes - 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Potato - 4-5 large floury potatoes
- Caster Sugar - 1 tsp caster sugar
- Black Peppercorn - 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Green Pepper - 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- Sea Salt - 1 tsp sea salt
- Chinese Five Spice Powder - 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Sichuan Peppercorns - 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cut the potatoes into chunky chips or wedges. Tip into a pan, top up with cold water and bring to a boil. As soon as you see bubbles, simmer gently for 5 mins. Drain carefully and leave to steam dry.
- Meanwhile, heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a shallow-lippedbaking trayin the top of the oven. Transfer the parboiled chips to the tray, carefully coat in the hot oil and cook for 20-25 mins until golden and crisp, turning halfway through.
- While the chips are cooking, toast the peppercorns in awokor large frying pan for a few mins, then transfer to apestle and mortarand crush. Heat the remaining in the pan and stir-fry the onion, peppers, garlic and chilli for 5-8 mins over a medium-high heat until the onions and garlic turn golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix the Chinese five-spice powder, sugar, salt, chilli flakes and ground peppercorns together. Tip the cooked chips into the pan with the veg and return to a medium heat. Toss to combine. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper mixture and the spring onions. Toss everything together for 1-2 mins until evenly coated, then serve straight away with another pinch of sea salt, if you like.