- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 507
- Fat Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Sodium Content: 2.7g
Sausages with braised cabbage & caraway
- vegetable-oil - 1 tsp vegetable oil
- pork-sausage - 8 good-quality, large pork sausages, or Bratwurst
- butter - 1 tbsp butter
- onion - 2 onions, halved then thinly sliced
- caraway-seed - 2 tsp caraway seeds
- cabbage - 1/2 firm, round cabbage, cut through the core into 4 wedges
- chicken-stock - 300ml good-quality chicken stock
- creme-fraiche - 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- mashed-potato - mashed potato, to serve
- mustard - medium-hot mustard, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the sausages and fry them over a medium-high heat for 10 mins, turning as they take on colour. Remove from the pan, then wipe out the pan with kitchen paper.
- Melt the butter in the pan and tip in the onions. Season, cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring a few times during cooking, until the onions are softening and dark golden here and there.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds into the onions, fry for 2 mins more, then nestle the cabbage wedges into the pan. Pour in the stock, pop on the lid and simmer for 5 mins. Add the sausages to the pan and cook for 10 mins more until the cabbage is tender but still holding some of its green colour, and the sausages are cooked through. Spoon in the creme fraiche and shake the pan a few times to help it mix into the rich onion sauce below. Serve in wide bowls with mashed potatoes and mustard.
Family meal recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, pork sausage, butter, onion, caraway seed, cabbage, chicken stock, crème fraîche, mashed potato and mustard.