- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serving: 6 - 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 600
- Carbohydrate Content: 47g
- Fat Content: 34g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 1.6g
- Sugar Content: 7g
Scandi salmon pie Recipe
Scandi salmon pie is a Party food recipe for 6 - 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has salmon fillet, peppercorn and fennel seed.
- Red Onion - 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Egg - 1 egg, beaten
- Dill - 3 tbsp chopped dill
- Lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- Sundried Tomato - 100g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Baby Spinach - 200g baby spinach leaves
- Creme Fraiche - 140g creme fraiche
- Salmon Fillet - 500g fresh skinless salmon fillet, cut into 2cm cubes
- Salt - 1 tsp salt
- Golden Caster Sugar - 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- Wholegrain Mustard - 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Fennel Seed - 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Peppercorn - 1 tsp each peppercorns
- Puff Pastry - pack of 2 x 320g puff pastry sheets
- Wheatberry - 140g wheatberries (raw, not pre-cooked - see tip) or spelt or pearl barley
- Put the salmon in a bowl. Roughly crush the peppercorns and fennel using a pestle and mortar, then add to the salmon with the sugar, salt and half the dill. Mix well and leave to stand while you cook the wheat berries.
- Cook the wheatberries in 4 times their volume of water for 25 mins, or following pack instructions. Drain well and leave to cool. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Mix the onion with the lemon juice and set aside. Put the spinach in a colander. Pour over boiling water from the kettle to wilt the leaves, then drain well, squeeze out any excess water and pat dry. Tip the spinach, onion, lemon juice and sundried tomatoes onto the wheatberries and mix.
- Mix the creme fraiche, mustard, remaining dill and some seasoning in a small bowl. Fold through the wheatberry mixture.
- Unwrap a sheet of puff pastry and line a 20 x 30cm rectangular flan tin. (If you are using a straight-sided tin, line the base with a strip of baking parchment.) Spoon in half the wheatberry mixture and cover with the salmon. Spread the remaining mixture evenly over the top. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg, then lay the second sheet of pastry on top. Press the pastry edges together to seal, then trim the excess.
- Brush the top of the pastry liberally with egg, and bake for 40-45 mins until the pastry is crisp and rich golden. Leave to cool and take to the picnic in the tin covered in foil or cling film, then cut into thick slices to serve.