- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving: 4 - 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 62g
- Fat Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- Sugar Content: 35g
Simnel share 'n' tear buns Recipe
Simnel share 'n' tear buns is a Easter baking recipe for 4 - 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has bread flour, plain flour and golden caster sugar.
- Egg - 1 large egg
- Milk - 200ml warm milk
- Lemon - zest 1 lemon
- Butter - 50g butter, at room temperature
- Brown Sugar - 100g light soft brown sugar
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Oil - oil, for greasing bowl/proving
- Plain Flour - 140g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Golden Caster Sugar - 50g golden caster sugar
- Fast Action Dried Yeast - 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- Flaked Almond - 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- Mixed Spice - 2 tsp mixed spice
- Icing Sugar - 85g icing sugar, sifted
- Almond Extract - 2 tsp almond extract
- Mixed Peel - 50g mixed peel
- Bread Flour - 300g strong white bread flour
- Apricot Jam - 85g apricot jam
- Currant - 50g currants
- Marzipan - 50g marzipan, coarsely grated, plus 50g/2oz extra for the 'Apostle' balls
- Mix the flours, sugar, yeast, zest and 1 tsp salt in a big bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, almond extract and egg, then stir into the dry ingredients with a cutlery knife. Leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Knead the dough for 10 mins on a lightly floured surface until smooth and no longer sticky, then put in an oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise somewhere warm-ish for at least 1 hr until doubled in size.
- Line the base of a 25 x 35cm tin, or 30cm square, with baking parchment. Mix the first 4 filling ingredients to a smooth paste, then stir in the dried fruit and 50g marzipan.
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 35 x 25cm. Crumble over the filling and press into the dough. Roll up tightly from one long side and, using a floured knife, cut into 12 even pieces. Put these into the tin, spiral-side up, leaving 0.5cm space between them. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise for 30-45 mins until nearly doubled in size. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Bake the buns for 25-30 mins. If they are browning too quickly after 15 mins, cover loosely with baking parchment. Take the buns out of the oven and, while warm, melt the jam and brush all over the top. Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool, mix the icing sugar with a little water to a runny consistency and drizzle over. With the remaining marzipan, make 11 balls to represent the Apostles - without Judas - and scatter over with the almonds. Best eaten the day of baking. If making ahead or freezing, warm through in a low oven before serving to give that just-baked flavour.