- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 318
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Sugar Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 12g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Spiced aubergine bake
- aubergine - 4 aubergines, cut into 5mm-1cm slices
- vegetable-oil - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- coconut-oil - 2 tbsp coconut oil
- onion - 2 large onions, chopped
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- mustard-seeds - 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- fenugreek-seed - 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- garam-masala - 1 tbsp garam masala
- chilli-powder - 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- ground-coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- chopped-tomato - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- coconut-milk - 200ml coconut milk
- sugar - sugar, to taste
- flaked-almond - 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- coriander - small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Generously brush each aubergine slice with vegetable oil and place in a single layer on a baking tray, or two if they don't fit on one. Cook on the low shelves for 10 mins, then turn over and cook for a further 5-10 mins until they are golden. Reduce the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and add the onions. Cover and sweat on a low heat for about 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, garam masala, chilli powder, cinnamon stick, cumin and ground coriander. Cook for a few secs until it starts to smell beautiful and aromatic.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk into the spiced onions and stir well. Check the seasoning and add a little sugar, salt or pepper to taste.
- Spoon a third of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Layer with half the aubergine slices. Spoon over a further third of tomato sauce, then the remaining aubergine slices, and finish with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and coriander (if using), reserving some to serve, and bake for 25-30 mins. Serve garnished with more coriander.
Easy vegan recipe for 4 – 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has aubergine, vegetable oil, coconut oil, onion, garlic clove, mustard seeds, fenugreek seed, garam masala, chilli powder, cinnamon stick, ground cumin, ground coriander, chopped tomato, coconut milk, sugar, flaked almond and coriander.