- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 401
- Fat Content: 16g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 48g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 14g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Spiced aubergine pilaf with poached eggs
- aubergine - 2 aubergines, cut into 2 1/2 cm chunks
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- basmati-rice - 200g basmati rice
- butter - 25g butter
- red-onion - 1 red onion, sliced
- curry-paste - 1 tbsp curry paste
- vegetable-stock - 450ml hot vegetable stock
- egg - 4 eggs, fridge cold
- lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- cashew - 30g bag cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- mint - 1/2 pack mint, leaves only, large ones torn
- greek-yogurt - 150g Greek yogurt
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the aubergines in a roasting tin, drizzle over the oil and some seasoning, then toss them together. Roast for 20 mins until tender and golden brown, turning once or twice.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice, then soak in cold water for 5 mins. Heat the butter in a pan over a low heat, add the onion and cook gently for 8 mins until softened. Drain the rice and add to the pan, stirring to coat in the butter. Cook for 2-3 mins, then spoon in the curry paste, stir, and let it sizzle. Pour over the hot stock, bring to the boil, then cover and turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Cook for 15 mins, then turn off the heat and let the rice steam for 10 mins - don't lift the lid.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and poach the eggs, 2 at a time, then drain well. Stir the aubergines through the rice, squeeze over the lemon juice, then taste for seasoning. Divide the pilaf between plates and top with a poached egg, cashew nuts and mint leaves. Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
Healthy egg recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has aubergine, olive oil, basmati rice, butter, red onion, curry paste, vegetable stock, egg, lemon, cashew, mint and greek yogurt.