- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 426
- Fat Content: 29g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 41g
- Sugar Content: 41g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.11g
Spiced meringues with coffee-soaked prunes
- egg-white - 3 egg whites (left over from the fish pies, see 'Goes well with', below)
- caster-sugar - 175g caster sugar
- mixed-spice - 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- instant-coffee - 2 tbsp instant coffee
- caster-sugar - 50g caster sugar
- prune - 250g pack ready-to-eat pitted prune
- double-cream - 285ml and 142ml pot double cream
- Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Put the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat with an electric whisk until thickened and frothy. While whisking, add sugar 1 tbsp at a time until the mix is stiff and glossy. Fold in the spice.
- Working quickly, pile 8 big spoonfuls of the meringue onto the baking sheets, spacing them evenly apart. Then, with the back of a spoon, lightly flatten them and hollow out the centres to make nest shapes. Bake for 45 mins, then turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside to cool for 4 hrs or overnight. Can be made 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container.
- Put the coffee and sugar in a pan with 200ml water. Add the prunes, bring to a simmer, then stir to dissolve the coffee. Leave to simmer for 10 mins until most of the liquid is absorbed, then take off the heat and cool. Can be made 2 days ahead and chilled.
- To serve, whip the cream until it holds its shape. Spoon onto the meringues, then top with the prunes and a little of their juice.
Coffee recipe for 8 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has egg white, caster sugar, mixed spice, instant coffee, caster sugar, prune and double cream.