- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 375
- Fat Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 66g
- Sugar Content: 18g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Spiced vegetable pilaf
- carrot - 6 carrots, cut lengthways into 6-8 wedges
- red-onion - 3 red onions, cut into wedges
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- cumin-seed - 2 tsp cumin seeds
- cardamom-pod - 4 cardamom pods
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- basmati-rice - 200g brown basmati rice, rinsed
- vegetable-stock - 400ml vegetable stock
- lentil - 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- baby-spinach - 200g baby spinach
- almond - handful toasted flaked almonds, or a few whole almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In boiling water, cook carrots for 4 mins, tipping in onions for the last min of cooking. Drain and mix in a roasting tin with 4 tsp oil, the cumin and seasoning. Roast for 30 mins, while you cook the rice.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large pan. Add cardamom and cinnamon for 30 secs, then add rice and toast for 1 min. Pour over stock and 100ml water, then simmer, covered, for 25-30 mins, until rice is tender and the water absorbed. Remove cinnamon and cardamom.
- Tip in lentils and fork through before topping with spinach. Put lid back on and cook over a low heat, stirring once, until spinach has wilted and lentils heated through. Fork through again before tipping the cumin roasted veg onto the top and sprinkling with almonds, if using.
Dairy-free lunch recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has carrot, red onion, olive oil, cumin seed, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick, basmati rice, vegetable stock, lentil, baby spinach and almond.