- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 611
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Fat Content: 48g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 2.1g
- Sugar Content: 11g
Spring onion & halloumi bruschetta with carrot & saffron salsa Recipe
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has halloumi cheese, carrot, extra-virgin olive oil, saffron, lemon, blanched almond, coriander, vegetable oil, sourdough bread, garlic clove, spring onion and chicory.
- Coriander - small bunch coriander, chopped
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Garlic Clove - 1 garlic clove, halved
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Spring Onion - 12 spring onions, trimmed
- Carrot - 4 carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
- Halloumi Cheese - 225g pack halloumi cheese
- Lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- Saffron - pinch of saffron threads
- Blanched Almond - 100g whole blanched almond
- Sourdough Bread - 4 slices sourdough bread
- Chicory - 1 red chicory, leaves separated
- If you want to reduce the saltiness of the halloumi, soak it for two hours beforehand in cold water.
- Cut the halloumi evenly into 8 slices across the width of the cheese. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the carrots together with the olive oil, saffron, lemon juice and some seasoning. Tip onto a baking tray and roast for 20 mins or until tender and golden. Leave to cool, then tip into a food processor with the almonds and coarsely blitz. Scrape the salsa out into a bowl and add the chopped coriander. Mix well and add more seasoning or lemon juice if needed.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan. Thoroughly pat dry the halloumi slices. When the pan is hot, carefully place in the pan and cook over a medium heat until golden brown, then turn over and cook until the other side is golden.
- While the cheese is cooking, toast the sourdough, then rub one side with garlic. Place a piece of toast on each of 4 plates and top with 2 slices of halloumi. Add the spring onions to the pan and cook for a couple of mins on each side until wilting and a little golden. Put 3 spring onions on each halloumi-topped sourdough slice, then generously spoon over the carrot & saffron salsa. Serve with chicory leaves.