- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 323
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 58g
- Sugar Content: 11g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 0.45g
- red-pepper - 2 red peppers, quartered and deseeded
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- fennel - 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- onion - 1 onion, roughly chopped
- carrot - 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- chilli - 1/4 tsp crushed chillies
- fennel-seed - 1 tsp fennel seeds
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- chopped-tomato - 400g can chopped tomatoes
- vegetable-stock - 600ml vegetable stock
- caster-sugar - 1 tsp caster sugar
- basil - small handful basil, leaves shredded
- pasta - 500g bag fresh egg pasta, cooked
- Heat the grill and pop the peppers, skin-side up, underneath for 10 mins or until beginning to char. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and cut the flesh into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the fennel, onion and carrot for 8-10 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic, crushed chillies, fennel seeds and tomato puree, cook for 2 mins, then add the canned tomatoes, stock and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins or until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Take out a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce (this will later add texture), then blend the rest in the saucepan until almost smooth with a stick blender. Simmer for 5 mins to thicken, then stir in the reserved sauce, shredded basil and peppers. Serve with the pasta.
Healthy summer recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has red pepper, olive oil, fennel, onion, carrot, garlic clove, chilli, fennel seed, tomato purée, chopped tomato, vegetable stock, caster sugar, basil and pasta.