- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 416
- Fat Content: 33g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0g
Tomato, avocado & corn salad with migas & buttermilk dressing
- bread - 125g coarse bread, such as sourdough (crusts removed)
- milk - 2 tbsp full-fat milk
- olive-oil - 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- corn-cob - 2 corn cobs
- avocado - 2 ripe, large avocados
- lime - 1 large lime, juiced
- spring-onion - 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal (use purple ones to add colour if you can find them)
- tomato - 600g tomatoes (a mixture of colours and sizes is good), sliced horizontally, or halved if they're small
- mayonnaise - 115g mayonnaise
- dijon-mustard - smidgen Dijon mustard
- garlic-clove - 1/2 small garlic clove, grated
- chive - 5g chives, finely chopped
- buttermilk - 125ml buttermilk
- Tear the bread into pieces and toss in a bowl with the milk and 1 tbsp of water. Leave to soak for 20 mins. Gently squeeze the bread to remove some of the excess liquid (though not all). Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the bread over a medium heat, turning every so often, until dark golden brown and crisp, then turn the heat down and cook until the pieces are warm through to the middle. Season and cook a little more, turning the pieces over. It will take about 15 mins to make the migas. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Meanwhile, hold a corn cob standing up in a shallow roasting tin. Using a sharp knife, cut down the sides, removing the kernels as you work round. Toss the kernels with 1/2 tbsp of the oil and a little seasoning. Roast in the oven for 20 mins, tossing after 15 mins. It should be scorched a little at the edges.
- To make the dressing, put the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic and chives in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the buttermilk. There shouldn't be any lumps of mayo left.
- Halve and stone the avocadoes and cut each half into slices. Peel the skin from each slice. Put the avocado in a broad shallow serving bowl and squeeze the lime juice all over them. Turn over in the juice and season. Add all the other salad ingredients and toss together. Spoon some of the dressing over and serve the rest on the side.
American recipe for 6 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has bread, milk, olive oil, corn cob, avocado, lime, spring onion, tomato, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, garlic clove, chive and buttermilk.