- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 377
- Carbohydrate Content: 67g
- Fat Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 1.14g
- Sugar Content: 9g
Veggie rice pot Recipe
Veggie rice pot is a Diabetes-friendly recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has groundnut oil, pepper and chestnut mushroom.
- Garlic Clove - 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pepper - 2 peppers (one red, one yellow), deseeded and thickly sliced
- Spring Onion - bunch spring onions, sliced diagonally
- Egg - 2 eggs, beaten
- Sesame Oil - 1 tsp sesame oil
- Dry Sherry - 3 tbsp dry sherry (optional but worth it)
- Chestnut Mushroom - 250g pack shiitake or chestnut mushrooms (I used shiitake)
- Groundnut Oil - 1 tbsp sunflower or groundnut oil
- Petits Pois - 140g frozen petits pois
- Long Grain Rice - 250g long grain rice (not the easy-cook type)
- Five Spice - 1 heaped tsp five-spice powder
- Light Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp light soy sauce, or more if you like
- Boil the kettle. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, then add the peppers and mushrooms. Fry over a high heat for 3 mins or until starting to soften and turn golden. Turn down the heat, then stir in the rice, garlic and five-spice. Sizzle for 2 mins, then splash in the sherry, if using, and top up with 350ml hot water.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 mins until all of the liquid has gone and the rice is tender, stirring now and again. Add the peas for the final few mins.
- Heat another frying pan, add a drop of the sesame oil, then add the eggs. Swirl around the pan to make a thin omelette. Once set, turn out onto a board, roll up and shred thinly. Tip the egg and spring onions onto the rice, fluff up with a fork, season with soy sauce and sesame oil, then serve.