- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 767
- Carbohydrate Content: 16g
- Fat Content: 39g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 67g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Sodium Content: 2.09g
- Sugar Content: 11g
Beef bourguignon Recipe
Beef bourguignon is a Casserole recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has braising steak, bay leaf and thyme.
- Red Wine - 2 bottles cheap red wine
- Onion - 2 onions, roughly chopped
- Carrot - 3 large or 6 normal carrots, cut into large chunks
- Parsley - chopped parsley
- Butter - small knob butter
- Bay Leaf - 3 bay leaves
- Oil - 2 tbsp oil
- Tomato Puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Thyme - small bunch thyme
- Plain Flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- Mushroom - 400g mushrooms, halved
- Bacon - 300g bacon lardons
- Braising Steak - 1.6kg braising steak, cut into large chunks
- Tip 1.6kg braising steak, cut into large chunks, into alarge bowlwith 3 bay leaves, a small bunch of thyme, 2 bottles cheap red wine and some pepper, then cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place acolanderover another large bowl and strain the marinated meat, keeping the wine.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a largefrying pan, then brown the meat in batches, transferring to a plate once browned. When all the meat is browned, pour a little wine into the now-empty frying pan and bubble to release any caramelised bits from the pan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a largecasseroleand fry 3 large or 6 normal carrots, cut into large chunks, and 2 roughly chopped onions until they start to colour. Stir in 3 tbsp plain flour for 1 min, then add 1 tbsp tomato puree.
- Add the beef and any juices, the wine from the frying pan and the rest of the wine and herbs. Season and bring to a simmer. Give everything a good stir, then cover.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hrs until the meat is really tender. Cool.Will freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, defrost completely overnight in the fridge if frozen, then place on a low heat to warm through.
- Meanwhile, heat a small knob of butter in a frying pan and add 300g bacon lardons and 500g peeled pearl onions or small shallots. Sizzle for about 10 mins until the bacon starts to crisp and the onions soften and colour.
- Add 400g halved mushrooms and fry for another 5 mins, then stir everything into the stew and heat for 10 mins more. Serve scattered with chopped parsley.